|AlienNation Co. is a non-profit multimedia arts organization and
laboratory for cross-cultural performance that has evolved organically
out of several collaborative projects. Over the past years, AlienNation
Co. has been exploring the connections between live performance and cinematic/video
space-time, promoting new processes of composition combining choreography
with digital media, acoustic and electronic music, poetry and the visual
Experimenting with both site-specific and cross-cultural performance
materials, the company has been particularly concerned with physical-emotional
experience (in the body) and with the ideology of visual objects/images.
Its experimental work, which includes theatre and dance pieces, installations,
and film concerts, evolves together with video/film production, CD/CD-ROMs,
documentation, and writing.
The work addresses issues of our time and our various, overlapping
cultural experiences. As collaborative work with artists in other locations,
it offers a contribution to the crossing of borders and the exchange
of creative dialogues in the world.
AlienNation Co. has premiered numerous productions since its formation in
1993. After the international touring of "AlienNation"
(1993-94), the second production, "Lovers Fragments,"
was created in two different versions shown in Cleveland and Chicago between
April and December 1995. Film versions of "Lovers Fragments"
were presented at festivals and conferences in London, Helsinki, Montreal, and
Havana. More recent projects include a sequence of site-specific opera experiments,
"Parsifal" (1995-97) and MIGBOT (1998-99), based
on an exploration of myth, virtual space, and the production of sexualities.
Since 1996 the company offers a media/technology and interactive performance
workshop entitled "LBLM", and since 1997 several new
multimedia productions, "before night falls," "Parachute," "North By South,"
and "migbot" were created in various locations in Houston and abroad.
The company's new
website was created in 1998 after AlienNation instituted itself as an organization
Artistic Director (Houston): Johannes Birringer. -
Associate Director : Maria de los Angeles Romero. -
Musical director (Houston): Steve Pare - Artistic associates:
Patrick Clark. - Emmanuel Woodward.-
Rebecca Lowe. - Hans Staartjes.
- Donald Calledare, Serena Lin, Christina Gianelli, Wendy Aldwyn, Chris Aranda,
Anna Fay Williams, Mel Landin, Christy Singleton - Andre
Marquetti., Elaine Molinaro, Tara Peters.
Recent film screenings/exhibitions/radio works:
- 2001 energieRaum, digital video installation, Staedtische Gallerie Dreieich
- 2000 Vespucci, film installation, University of Brasilia Art Gallery, Brasilia
(Brazil); Media Center, Graduate School of Semiotics and Communication-PUC-University
(Performance Art School), São Paulo (Brazil)
- Ghost Island, interactive dance environment, created with Environment V
Lab, Haskett Hall, Soundstage, Ohio State University; Intermediale Festival,
- 2000 Irregeleitete Anatomie, digital installation-performance, Festspielhaus
Hellerau, Dresden, Germany
- 1999 - Vespucci, dance film/opera, Winter
Street Art Center, Houston
- 1998 - migbot, a digital-architectonic
installation-performance, Winter Street Art Center, Houston
- 1998 - East by West, a sonic concert,
Winter Street Art Center, Houston.
- 1998 - North by South, a dance/film
concert, Diverse Works, Houston.
- 1998 - Parachute, a site specific
performance project, FotoFest 1998, Houston.
- 1997 - before night falls, digital dance work in progress.
- 1996 - Lovers Fragments, film-dance work.
- 1995 - Parsifal, opera installation,
Festspielhaus Hellerau-Dresden,East Germany.
- 1995 - Closed Spaces, urban art performance, Eisenhuettenstadt, East
- 1994 - AlienNation, dance-theatre performance,
European tour (Germany, France, Holland, Slovenia); Cleveland Performance
Art Festival, Cleveland; Gran Teatro de Habana, Cuba.
- 1993 - Fluid Exchanges, action event, with Andre Marquetti and John
Cook, Fluxus Exhibition, Block Gallery, Evanston.
- 1993 - AlienNation, dance-theatre performance,
Blue Rider Theatre Festival, Chicago
- 1993 - From the Border, cross-cultural performance-exhibition festival,
Josephine Louis Theatre/Block Gallery/Annie May Swift Auditorium, Northwestern
- 1992 - Orpheus and Eurydike, multi-media
dance-opera, Josephine Louis Theatre, Northwestern University.
- 1990 - AD MORTEM, film-dance-music concert, DiverseWorks and Lawndale
Art Center, Houston.
For further information, contact:
- 2002 - East by West, interactive telepresence installation, Festspielhaus Hellerau, Dresden, with Sher Doruff and Orm Finnedahl.
- 2001 - Vespucci, film installation, University of Brasilia Art Gallery; Media Center PUC, Sao Paulo
- 1999 - Vespucci, film installation, ACA Gallery, Austin;
- 1998 - Integral, digital film installation, MIGBOT, Chichester Institute, England
- 1998 - El Finge, video installation, Casa de Arte, Houston
- 1997 - Skybooks, documentary film, Rice University Art Gallery, Houston
- 1997 - Between the Places, dance film, Arena Dancing Series, Houston
- 1995 - Lovers Fragments, multi-screen installation, Casa de las Americas, Havana; Theatre Congress, Montreal; Helsinki Act Festival, Helsinki; Border Tensions Dance Conference, London;
- 1994 - The Connected Body? videopoem, School for New Dance, Amsterdam, Holland
- 1994 - AlienNation, videodance, International DanceScreen Festival, Lyon, France
- 1994 - Observations, dialogue with the Egon March Institute, Radio Student, Ljubljana, Slovenia
- 1993 - Cross-cultural Radio Workshop/Production of 15 PSAs, with Guillermo Gomez-Pena and other artists, Experimental Sound Studio, Chicago. Public Installation at Chicago Cultural Center, June 1993.
- 1993 - The Making of 'From the Border', videodocumentary, International Film & TV School, Havana, Cuba.
- 1993 - Orpheus and Eurydike, videodance, International DanceScreen Festival, Alte Oper, Frankfurt, Germany.
Artistic Director Johannes Birringer
Mother Dog Studios, 720 Walnut
Houston, TX 77002
email: orpheus at rice dot edu
Web site design by WebslingerZ