A saxophonist and composer, he was born in Oro Preto, Brazil, and has lived and
worked on different continents, in France, Latin America, and the United States.
Educated at the University of Wisconsin, he more recently studied at the AACM
(Association for the Advancement of Creative Musicians) School of Music in
Chicago. His music teachers include George Flynn (DePaul University Composition
Director), Gerald Rizzer (Chicago Ensemble), and Ed Wilkerson (AACM Chicago). He
is a prolific performer and composer and has worked collaboratively with theatre
and film artists.
- Performing Ensembles:
- 1995 Guest composer for AlienNation Co.
- 1993 The Chicago Free Music Workshop, founder, Chicago, Illinois
- 1992 Gilgamesh Jazzcosmosorchestra, Chicago
- 1989-91 Jimmy Ellis Workshop Ensemble, Chicago
- Miscellaneous Performances:
- THE CHICAGO COMPOSERS COLLECTIVE, in a program featuring Brass Quintet, MICROTONAL TuniNG, Video dANCE, SONATA, and Improvs. AN ACTIVE ENVIRONMENT OF MUSIC EXPERIMENTS AND WORKS. Hothouse, Chicago.
- 1998 Performance collaboration on "East by West," Winter Street Art Center,
Blurred Boundaries Echibition, with AlienNation Co., Houston.
- 1996 Music for solo soprano and horn, based on a poem by Robert Burns, Green Mill, Chicago
- 1995 New chamber piece for wind instruments, premiered at Dittmer Gallery, Northwestern University, and Aldo Castillo Gallery, Chicago
- 1994 New Music at the Green Mill, a program featuring works by Chicago composers organized by George Flynn
- 1994 X-Music, a compositions program at the GETZ Theatre featuring musicians from the CIVIC Orchestra in Chicago
- 1993 Compositions, performed by students of the Sherwood Conservatory of Music, Chicago
- 1993 Fluid Exchanges, a multi-disciplinary collaboration with performance artists Johannes Birringer and John Cook, part of the FLUXUS exhibition tribute at the Mary & Leigh Block Gallery, Northwestern University
- 1993 From the Border, a cross-cultural exhibition and performance event, concert featured at the Mary & Leigh Block Gallery, Northwestern Univ.
- 1991 Chicago Jazz Festival, Southend Musicworks, session with Regie Workman, Gerry Hemmingway, and members of the Hal Russel N.R.G. Ensemble, Chicago
- 1990 AACM 25th Anniversary, Southend Musicworks, session with George Lewis, Douglas Ewart, Fomadoue Don Moyes, Chicago
- Recent Works performed:
- 1994 Streets, poem by Paul Verlaine, music for soprano voice and clarinet
- 1994 Serenade for Bb Clarinet solo
- 1994 Compositions featured on a Mixed-Media CD-ROM developed by Brazilian photographer Carlos Fadon, Sao Paulo, Brazil
- 1993/94 Fantasy #1 for String Trio
- 1993 Nocturne Variations for winds trio, flute, clarinet and bassoon
- Works in Progress:
- 1994 A Poor Young Shepherd, poem by Verlaine, music for soprano , flute, and clarinet
- 1994 Cythere, poem by Paul Verlaine, music for soprano voice and flute
- 1994 Trio for 2 violins and piano (3 movements)
- 1994 Septet for flute, clarinet, bassoon, piano, violin, viola, and cello (2 movements)
- 1994 Chicago READER critic's choice
- 1993 Community Arts Assistance Program, grant of the Department of Cultural Affairs, Chicago
- 1985 The Bandstand Music Scholarship, Chicago
Andre can be reached via email at AMarquetti@aol.com
Web site design by WebslingerZ