Mathematica notebooks for Brito & Curl Automation paper

Here are available four Mathematica Notebooks used in the calculations described in the paper "Heterogeneous Capital and Piketty’s Conjecture" by Dagobert Brito and Robert Curl, Rice University. Two models of the effect of automation using the U.S. economy as an example. In one model, labor is considered homogeneous with only two factors capital and labor with the new aspect being that capital could substitute for labor by automation. In the other model, labor is split into two categories with the jobs of the bulk of labor (90%) being potentially substitutable by capital while the jobs of the other 10% require high intelligence and are too unpredictable to be automated.

The notebooks used in the development of the two models are "2_factor_CRcr_treatment.nb" and "3_factor_CRcr_treatment.nb". Because the symbols for the various quantities used overlap between these two notebooks, the various functions created in these two derivations are given different symbols and collected in the notebook "Functions_for_2_and_3_factors.nb". Finally the implications of these models are explored and compared in a number of figures in the notebook "Plots_of_wages_&_production_all_cases.nb". A subset of these figures are used in the paper. Some of the figures will appear to have an error message depending upon the version of Mathematica used, e.g. will show an error in Mathematica 11 but ok in Mathematica 9.

To download a file, click on the link. If opens to a page of text instead of downloading, select all the text and paste it into Mathematica. After the paste Mathematica asks whether you want to interpret the text as notebook. Choose "Yes".

Because it contains many figures the "Plots_of_wages_&_production_all_cases.nb" file is huge and may take a long time to download.