A new scholarship has been recently established for Rice students as a memorial
to honor a 1938 Rice alum, Dr. York Lancaster. The scholarship was established
by his children (also Rice alums), and is merit-based. It will be awarded
preferentially to a qualifying pre-med student with the highest GPA at
the end of his/her freshman year, starting in the Fall of 1999. If no pre-med
freshman student qualifies, the scholarship will be awarded to
the qualifying student(s) with the highest GPA.
(1) must be US citizens,while carrying at least 12 hours each semester of their freshman year at Rice University, and
(2) must have graduated from a Texas high school,
(5) must NOT be the current recipient of a full scholarship,
(3) must have completed at least 6 hours of math, science or engineering course-work
(4) must apply for the scholarship.
If the scholarship remains unrewarded, the money will be held and added to
the amount for the next year. The initial award is estimated at about $1,200.00.
To apply for the scholarship, contact Dr. Zenaido Camacho's office, 101 Lovett
Hall or call (713) 348-4996.