Robert W. Boyd
1631 Richmond Ave.
Houston, TX 77006
Place of birth: Melbourne, Australia
Citizenship: United States of America
Rice University, Jesse H. Jones Graduate School of Management, candidate for Master of Business Administration 2007.
- Finance and Asset Management Club
- Sports Entertainment and Media Club
- Real Estate Club
- Net Impact
- Graduate Student Association representative
Rice University, Bachelor of Arts 1992, Art and Art History.
Memorial High School, Houston, Texas, 1981.
June 2006 to August 2006
Cameron Compression Systems, 1650 Port Northwest Dr., Houston, TX 77041.
- Worked with marrketing and sales to forecast demand for compressors and parts.
- Analized historical sales data for buying patterns.
- Extensive use of Minitab and Visual Basic programming to create statistical models.
September 2004 to August 2005
The Jesse H. Jones Graduate School of Management, Rice University, Assistant Coordinator, 6100 Main St., Houston, TX 77005.
- Worked for MBA for Executives program.
- Managed parts of the admissions process.
- Helped with ad and promotional copywriting.
December 2003 to July 2004
A.D. Vision, Inc., Marketing Manager, 10114 West Sam Houston Pkwy., Suite 200, Houston, TX 77099-5109.
- Marketing for more than 90 books per year.
- Wrote and produced catalogs, sell-sheets, trade ads, consumer ads, power points, video trailers, and other sales tools.
- Did publicity, including getting features, book reviews, and other consumer and trade coverage.
- Trade sales increased 200% in 2004 over 2003.
November 2002 to November 2003
CrossGen Entertainment, Director of Sales, 4023 Tampa Rd., Suite 2400, Oldsmar, FL 34677.
- Sales and marketing for more than 60 books a year.
- Sales to major book trade accounts, to libraries, and to wholesalers.
- Wrote catalog copy, sell sheets, ads in trade magazines, and power-points for sales reps.
- Did detailed competition research.
- Helped develop and market Bridges, a supplementary reading program using graphic novels.
October 1999 to July 2002
LPC Group, Product Manager, 1375 Kings Hwy East, Fairfield, CT.
- Worked with client publishers to sell their books (primarily graphic novels) into the book trade.
- Helped to establish graphic novels as a separate sales category in the book trade, leading to rapid growth of the category.
- Did editorial work for in-house publishing lines, Olmstead Press and Firebrand Books.
June 1997 to June 2001
Westhampton House, President, 116 Pleasant St., #14, Easthampton, MA 01027.
- Imported books from seven countries for the U.S. market.
- Published trade books and comic books.
- Responsible for importation, marketing, sales, acquisition of new titles, all editorial duties, and all production duties.
- Hired writers, artists, designers, printers, service bureaus, and shippers.
February 1996 to October 1998
Kitchen Sink Press, Managing Editor, 76 Pleasant St., Northampton, MA 01060.
- Managed the schedules of two other editors and the production department.
- Editor on a variety of products, including trading cards, comic books, art books, magazines, graphic novels, and anthologies.
- Created budgets, developed story concepts, hired artists and writers, edited scripts and artwork, worked with designers and the production department, and wrote sales copy.
August 1994 to November 1995
Concorde-New Horizons, Editor in Chief, 6855 Santa Monica Blvd., Suite 406, Los Angeles, CA 90038.
- Edited an entire of comics imprint called Roger Corman's Cosmic Comics-a total of five monthly titles.
- Choose, hired, and supervised the writers, artists, letterers, colorists, and designers.
- Generated story ideas, edited scripts and artwork; put together text features and letters columns, and created book-maps, and worked with the printer.
- Worked with distributors, printers, service bureaus and other suppliers of publishing services.
- Created schedules, created budgets, wrote ad and sales copy, and all other publishing activities.
March 1993 to July 1994
Dark Horse Comics, Editor, 10956 SE Main St., Milwaukie, OR 97222.
- Edited an average of four comics per month.
- Duties included coordinating the creators, copy-editing scripts, editing artwork, writing solicitation copy, and overseeing the creative aspects of each project.
January 1989 to February 1993
Fantagraphics Books, Editor, 7563 Lake City Way NE, Seattle, WA 98115.
- Edited a number of anthologies, graphic novels, and comic books.
- Edited several issues of The Comics Journal as well as creating its first media kit.
- Co-curated a large show of comic art, Misfit Lit, and edited the catalog.
January 1986 to August 1987
Western Geophysical Co., Navigator, 10001 Richmond Ave., Houston, TX 77042.
- Was a navigator for oil exploration crews in Nigeria, Angola, Brazil, and Louisiana.