How to find journal articles:
Journal articles are found by consulting an index. There are
indexes/abstracts available on a wide variety of subjects; many are available in computer-searchable format. A list of electronic resources in Fondren Library is available online. For assistance in using an electronic index, please ask at the reference desk. Most print indexes are located in the reference room, located on the first floor of the Fondren Library. A reference librarian can help you locate an appropriate source.
After you have located relevant citations, consult LIBRIS to find the call numbers of the journals. Journals are shelved by call number throughout building, in the main stacks. Current periodicals are located in the "Current Periodicals Room" near the Circulation Desk. Remember to search the title of the journal in LIBRIS to find the call number. Stack guides are located near the elevators, at the reference desk, and here.
To find articles in popular magazines, use the following sources:
Expanded Academic Index
- Computerized index
- Access through Riceinfo. Choose library services, then journal indexes.
- Check LIBRIS to determine availability and location of individual journal titles.
To find articles in newspapers:
- Computerized index--available full-text on compact disk from 1987-
- Ask at the reference desk
New York Times Index
To find articles in scholarly journals use these SAMPLE indexes:
- Print index to the New York Times
- Location: REF AI21.N45
- Back issues of the New York Times are on microfilm in the Government Publications and microform area in the basement.
Science and Engineering:
- Location: REF QD1. A1 A5
- Contains citations to all aspects of chemistry.
General Science Index
- Location: REF Q1.G46
- Covers all aspects of science including astronomy, botany, chemistry, earth science, genertics, medicine and health, physics, and zoology.
Arts and Humanities:
- Location: ARTS REF AI3.A78
- Covers all aspects of art including landscape architecture, and design
- Location: REF AI3.B5
- Citations to articles about current and historical people.
- Location: REF AI3.R42
- Covers history, English literature, religion, and philosophy.
- Location: REF BF1.P65
- Contains citations and abstracts of many articles about psychology.
Social Sciences Index
- Location: REF Ai3.R492
- Indexes articles in anthropology, geography, political science, psychology, and sociology.