Rough notes regarding various ideas suggested
in the last three meetings. These are not presented in any order or
priority but are meant to capture some of the concepts discussed
which were not necessarily part of any specific presentation. They
are presented here mainly as reminders. The materials presented on
Engineering and Science involvement are on the website
- Consider Environmental Health Focus. This
could involve a tie with the Medical Center. Create
cross-disciplinary opportunities for research. Get pre-meds
focused on environment as well as health issues.
- Develop Gulf Coast Center for Natural
- Concrete is good area for interaction
between Science and Engineering.
- Pollution Prevention could be a good cross
- Environmental Fluid Dynamics could be a
good cross-disciplinary theme.
- Consider cross-school themes such as Green
- Lot of outside dollars will give
credibility; look for grants and write proposals.
- Draft ideas for proposals to foundations
such as Pew and discuss with Jordan Konisky and Jean
- Follow-up on reception which was held last
fall. Lot of interest. Help others realize there is a growing
community and they can choose to be involved.
- Consider an EPSC Seminar Series, perhaps at
lunch, perhaps on CITI model.
- Find ways to broaden environmental
discussions such divisional subcommittees.
- Request Courses for next year.
- Need UNIV 100 and LOVE-BAKE 302 follow-on.
UNIV courses need to be staffed and sustainable. Concern that in
creating Hewlett freshman seminar, upper class opportunities could
- Consider General Announcements and
Interdisciplinary programs. Our programs are multiple
interdisciplinary and disciplinary initiatives.
- Need identity for Environmental Studies at
Rice that involves all divisions.
- Create a location &emdash; Environmental
- Rice should could consider developing a
leadership image by drawing connection versus strong
- Use Environment as broad research and
teaching umbrella &emdash; opportunity for Rice to take the
- Create a center to recycle used computers
and computer parts.
- Involve CAAM more. Consider others for