Investigated ways that other library organizations were dealing with these
issues, including SLA, CRL, ARL , ASIS.
D. Investigate proposals for continued funding.
The Committee feels that this part of the charge is contingent upon the
mechanism for delivery and will be the responsibility of the implementation
group. The committee also feels that every attempt should be made to
recover the costs of the delivery.
III. Proposal ideas
We propose to develop a model that can be transferred to local library
groups, library schools, and individual institutions. The modular approach
would allow participants to select areas of interests based on their needs.
Further, the goal of the proposal is to allow for the widest possible
participation and should not be limited by geographic location. The method
of implementation will attempt to satisfy both of these goals.
We recommend including subjects from both modules.
Module One would focus on Management Administration issues and would
include topics from the following list:
- Explore where depository collections fall within the library organizational
- How to work with other library departments and staff.
- How to manage government electronic collections: processing, cataloging,
networking, collection development, and providing access.
- Investigate issues in retraining document staff (public and technical
- How to comply with federal depository library program standards for
collection management in an electronic age.
- How to effectively use listservs and internet resources to facilitate the
management of a documents collection.
- How to effectively manage bibliographic control of government information
in your library or in your consortium in an electronic environment.
Module Two would focus on developing the advocacy skills of managers of
documents collections and would include topics from the following list:
- How to make connections with civic leaders.
- How to promote government information to your library colleagues, library
administration, and the public.
- How to write press releases and letters.
- How to keep track of and call to action satisfied customers.
B. Possible Formats and Venues for delivery
We recommend that the Ad Hoc Committee be given the authority to further
investigate and enter partnerships with distance education technology
providers given the limits of the fund and with provisions for cost recovery.
- on-line instruction (web based)
- videotaped instruction
- electronic discussion groups
- depository library conference