- The name of this organization is " Black
Graduate Student Association at Rice".
- The purpose of this organization shall
be as follows:
- to provide a professional,
informative, and social network for graduate students of African
descent to ensure the retention and continued academic excellence of
said students at Rice University;
- to work with the undergraduate students of African
heritage in order to encourage them towards pursing graduate degrees;
- to assist Rice University in recruiting qualified
students of African heritage into the university’s graduate and
- A member of this organization shall be
any person who supports the goals of the organization and is committed
to enforcing said goals. A voting member is a member who has paid the
membership dues for the academic year.
- The executive committee will consist
of the following:
- the President, who shall
oversee all meetings and activities, and who shall be responsible for
making sure that the organization is abiding by the rules set forth by
the Graduate Student Association of Rice University.
- the Vice-President, who shall be the liaison
to the Black Student Association and coordinate all undergraduate
- the Treasurer, who shall be in
charge of maintaining and distributing the organization’s funds in an
orderly and responsible fashion.
- the Secretary, who shall be in charge of all
correspondence, inside the organization, as well as outside of the
- All executive officers will be elected
annually during the spring semester before the academic calendar year
for which they will be serving. Only voting members will be allowed to
vote during the elections, and all members must be notified of the date
for elections two weeks before the elections are held. Each officer
must obtain a majority of the vote from the number of voting members
present at the elections.
- All money spent shall be agreed on by
the Treasurer and the President and can be requested by any member of
the Executive Board.
- The constitution can be amended via a
majority vote of the voting members at any meeting.
- If a voting member is unable
to attend a meeting during which a vote occurs, he or she may make an
absentee vote by emailing the BGSA Secretary his or her vote within a
two day period prior to the day of voting.
- The BGSA shall also be committed to
coordinating community service opportunities and organizing social
activities for the members.
BGSA | News | Programs | Members | Links | Contact Us |